Radiation is all around us; in the ground, in the air, and even in many everyday devices. High dosages of radiation cause cancer and other mutations in living things. Most standard items emit radiation at safe levels if used as directed. However, as new technologies become commonplace, questions can arise concerning potential radiation risks.
As their name implies, microwave ovens cook food using microwaves. Once started, assuming the RF power dividers are properly operating, microwave ovens transmit high-frequency radio signals which excite the water particles in your food. The heat induced by these molecular vibrations is how the food gets cooked.
Microwaves issue radiofrequency, or RF, radiation, so called due to its position on the electromagnetic spectrum. RF waves are generally too low in frequency to hurt people, and are perfectly harmless within self-contained spaces. By design, microwaves don’t work unless their doors are fully sealed, so barring modifications, running a microwave is practically risk-free.
Since their invention, the scientific community has witnessed contention on whether cell phones cause cancer. This debate flares up in the media periodically as new studies are published. Cellular phone signals are also a form of RF radiation, but unlike with microwave ovens, the carrier waves travel through open air and are beamed near users’ heads. In this context, some experts believe prolonged mobile phone use poses increased threats of various brain tumors.
Since virtually everyone owns a mobile phone, any possible risk is a real public health concern. Further and more extensive studies must be done to determine the precise dangers of constant cell phone usage.
When used or stored incorrectly, typical products around the house turn into health hazards. Synthetic air fresheners and carpet cleaning fluids frequently contain known carcinogenic substances. Additional probable carcinogens are present in everything from leather furniture to vinyl shower curtains, chemical pesticides and fiberglass insulation. Furthermore, outdated appliances such as older refrigerators and fluorescent lights can release toxic chemicals called PCB’s into your home, which can gradually accumulate in your body and those of other occupants. Homeowners should scrap Such devices for newer, safer models ASAP. Meanwhile, be careful to use air fresheners and cleaning products only in spaces with good ventilation, and always face away from the fumes.
In conclusion, some common items can certainly cause cancer, while others are basically benign. Still others require more research to tell. However harmless an object is perceived, treat all things radioactive with due caution.